Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Scout's Swag! Rocks!! and so does Scout.

Last week, I ordered a large GoKnit Pouch in red and a medium in purple. First of all, I placed the online order on Friday - like late Friday - and it arrived the following Monday. But, by mistake, I received a pink medium, instead of purple. I emailed Scout and she suggested sending the pink pouch back and she would refund my shipping cost. Instead, I just ordered another purple - I also wanted to order another medium pouch, but in red and I'll just give the pink pouch to someone in my SnB group. So, she didn't charge me for shipping AND she even threw in a little something extra... A stitch saver and 3 of the mini-Soak packets.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

I had some Malabrigo Cabernet left over, so I decided to knit a matching scarf for my Malabrigo Koolhaas Hat. I thought about trying to use the Koolhaas pattern, but then I saw brooklyntweed's version of Grumperina's Shifting Sands Scarf and decided to go with it instead.


The pattern doesn't 'pop' like Jared's, but I think it's due to my yarn. I did a knitting-no-no the first time I did the Koolhaas pattern in Malabrigo. I wasn't happy with the results - I should have run through the chart one more time, and I totally messed up the crown - so I ripped it out and started over. Yes, I ripped out Malabrigo. I know, I know. I'm going to burn in a very special level of hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Also, I'm using Grumperina's Cabling Without a Cable Needle Method. It's actually not as hard as it sounds.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I finished another Koolhaas Hat. This one is for me.

I really love the way the crown looks



Monday, October 13, 2008

I couldn't resist.

The color is called 'Marine'


And, this color is called 'Vermillion'

I decided that 61 sts was going to be just a little big for Melissa's Scarf, so I ripped it out and started over with 41 sts.


Thursday, October 9, 2008

I started knitting a scarf for a friend at work who's always cold. I started out by casting on 61 sts and had planned to do something like 10 rows of seed stitch on either end. Since she's not really a girly-girl and I don't think she's into too much foofaraw, I couldn't decide on a pattern. So, I'm just going to do the whole thing in seed stitch. I'm crazy like that.


Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Here's a pic of B in his new Koolhaas Hat. I finished it last night.


I love the way the crown looks


Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I finished B's hat last night, but it was too short. So I ripped back to the life line that I had put in right before starting the decrease for the crown and I'm going to run through the chart one more time. I ran through the chart 4 times - like I did with my Evergreen hat - but it was too short.

Since the yarn is sock weight or somesuch, I had decided to use size 4 and 6 needles, instead of the size 6 and 8 called for in the pattern (as mentioned in a previous post). The first time I tried it with an additional 8 sts (the chart is worked in 8's or stitches of 8. Get it? "Stitches of 8" Like, "Pieces of 8" Anyway), but after running through the 10 rounds of 2x2 ribbing, it seemed too big. So, I ripped it out and went with the called-for 104 sts, even though I'm using needles that are two sizes smaller than called-for.

Saturday, October 4, 2008

One of the reasons I started knitting was because I used to watch my friend Jodi knit and was fascinated by it. But, ever since she had her daughter, her hands have been too full to knit. A few days ago, I asked if I could stop by and plunder her stash. She mentioned that she might have me knit up a couple projects for her, in exchange for yarn. And, remembering that her husband had asked her to knit him a hat, I offered to do that project.

He and I work together, so I my Evergreen Koolhaas Hat to work to have him try it on for size. Later, I asked Jodi if she had a pattern in mind for B's hat and she said he really liked the one I had him try on.

He had picked out some Wool Bam Boo in gray. It's 50% wool and 50% bamboo, and not all that easy to work with - very stretchy. And, since it's more a sock weight, I'm using size 4 and 6 needles, instead of the size 6 and 8 called for in the pattern.